Show and Tell: Global Meltdown


Painting: Global Meltdown 01

 

I tried non-objective painting... only a couple of times... in painting classes at university. It was a bit of a challenge for me since I usually prefer doing representational and subjective art. For this one, we were (as homework) to make ten experimental pieces on 10”square primed watercolour paper. We were to build up layers, paying attention to colour, texture and shape.

 

I was more than a little surprised to find it was kind of fun.

 

Non-objective exercise

 

We then chose elements from the small pieces and worked them into a larger painting using layer upon layer.


A lot of people confuse the difference between 'non-objective' and 'abstract” (A fact that was part of this project's lesson.)

*Non-objective: To have no subject or recognizable image. The work relies purely on the fundamentals of colour, shape, pattern, and texture.

*Abstract: A subject or object is changed beyond the normal boundaries of nature. Sometimes nearly unrecognisable, but with a subject none-the-less.

*Subjective (representational): As the name implies... with a subject. The image has an clear and visible object and/or subject.



Sorry to say, I didn't photograph the stages of my painting. Unfortunately, I did not get into the practice of documenting them in painting classes. I began in my printmaking projects.

 

Painting: Global Meltdown 01


Global Meltdown (sometimes called “Global Warming”) is on 36” x 36” gallery wrapped canvas. It now hangs in my home but I do have it listed for sale in my Etsy shop and available as prints from FineArtAmerica.

Comments

  1. I love the Global Meltdown print! I may also have to try some of the 10 x 10 experiments - I'm imagining it's a good way to get yourself out of your own head! Not having anything specific to render, just seeing the texture and shape and colours. (BTW - it was also cool to see the colour that came from the black beans - it expected it to be more purple)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! It would have been more purple but I let the bean protein in the liquid. Next one will maybe be bluer.
      If you try the 'practice' paintings, we applied gesso to watercolour paper (on both sides so it stays flat). Canvas paper can be bought by the pad also (easier).
      I kind of broke the 'rules' by naming it what I did. Made it more subjective.

      Delete

Post a Comment