The Incredible Inedible Egg


 

 

 As I shared before, I have discovered a love of working with mixed media. I am especially interested in using materials that are out of context. My friends who know me also know that you never know quite what to expect from my artwork.


 

In school, I made a full-size corset of old metal screen, wire, and nails to illustrate the concept of relationships and pain. 

It then inspired me to work on plans for an “Egg Project.” I have several pages of plans and ideas in a sketchbook. I want to create eggs with materials that are unusual, such as this one I have finished made with hardware nails.


 

In this project I address the subject of fertility: how it is perceived and dealt with, and how it affects women (and men) around the globe. Fertility is so wrought with joy and pain that I find it such an enigma that needs to be examined. The only way I know how to approach it is through my artwork.


My nail egg is both fun and harsh. I glued nails to a life-sized solid wood egg. Visitors have been unable to resist picking it up, all the while saying, “Ow!” I guess if anyone tried to invade my home I could just throw it at them. I am thinking of making more to try to sell.






 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is interesting how the nail egg seems to change its appearance with different lighting. Sometimes it is warm and glowing. Other times it is cold and harsh. Almost as if there really is life inside it somewhere. 

 

 

 

 

I will share new egg projects as I create them.


Comments

  1. Wow, that corset would have taken forever. Very interesting designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was for an art class so took about four weeks. I am working on a second post about it.

      Delete
  2. Art is so personal and yet you have taken common objects to create art around. The egg is irresistable to touch. Maybe the ends of the spikes can be soft, so the tips wont hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I did that, people wouldn't get the point. ;)

      Delete
  3. When I first read you article I was on my phone, I am so glad I looked at it again on my computer as the images are so much clearer. I love this idea, it is so original and powerful. I have found myself thinking about its symbolism on and off during the day and I'm still not sure if I can put my thoughts into words. I'm planning on showing this to my class of 10yr olds during our art lesson next week as I am curious to know what they think of it. I really look forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline! I am honoured! I would love to hear their feedback... regardless of what it is (I can take it) Feel free to email me at dezynekween@yahoo.com Yes, I have a lot of things swarming in my head about the subject and it is difficult to verbalize. I do better with visualize.

      Delete
  4. Such a powerful visual reminder of the juxtaposition between hard and soft, the yin and yang of life itself. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! I never thought much about it until I went back to school (age 50) and learned how to think. Women's Studies and Anthropology classes really woke me up.

      Delete
  5. That corset is stupendous! The egg seems so much more approachable (though obviously isn't), especially in the photo where it looks iridescent. I love mixed media art because it is, so often, surprising.
    (BTW loved the post with the boxes too. I'm not sure why I was there, and probably should have posted at the time...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! I appreciate it. There is a lot to tell about the corset so I am working on another blog post for it. Thanks about the boxes, I am working on more, so much fun! BTW I love your blog and commented as much.

      Delete
  6. These eggs are amazing, I love the concepts behind your work and look forward to seeing more as they evolve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What is really amazing is that all the egg images are of the same piece! I do have plans for more and a bag full of different nails. I also have other ideas for mixed media eggs and I will post them as they hatch... (sorry... could not resist)

      Delete
  7. Very different. Unique for sure. I wish I was creative, I envy that quality in those who have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tTank you! Everyone has their own form of creativity.

      Delete

Post a Comment