The Best Recipe Book Ever




 I have some really cool art books in my studio but if I were facing calamity today and could save only one, it would be Recipes for Art and Craft Materials by Helen Roney Sattler (published 1973 by Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Company/NY – ISBN 0-688-52557-6) The summary says, “Instructions for making pastes, modeling compounds, papier-mâché, paints, inks, and numerous other materials for art and craft work.” There are recipes for unique materials such as adhesives for making stickers and envelopes, block-printing inks, guache paints, and more.

I first saw this book around 1990 in a public library and thought it was wonderful then. A few years later, I found a copy in a bookshop and treasured it (tho must not have been enough because I loaned it out and never saw it again). About 5 years ago, I searched for the book on-line and found that, although no longer in print, there were (and still are) affordable copies available. So this book doesn't leave my possession. I've shared recipes from it, but I jealously hold onto the book... and use it.

The best thing about the recipes is that all of the materials are inexpensive and either found in a kitchen or are easy to find. I have tried several of them and most are easy to make and they work great.

Comments