Sunspot No. 2553



 

 

Two days ago, I took a photograph I think might be a little rare for an amateur photographer. It was of a sunspot using a Canon EOS Rebel T5/1200D and a 75-300mm zoom lens. I posted pics on my personal Facebook, but I want to share them here so more people can see it. Yes... I am showing off!

 

 

 


I spend a lot of time outdoors with my camera, usually shooting wildlife like eagles, hawks, osprey, herons, etc. (I am truly blessed to live in an environment that provides these opportunities.)

 

 

 


In all honesty... this was a 'happy accident.' It was in the morning just before 8am. The sun was visible but clouds had moved in front giving a 'veiled' look showing the crisp outline. I liked the effect and thought I would see what I could capture in an image.


I knew not to look directly at the sun, so I aimed the camera and shot an image. I also knew that the direct sun could possibly damage the electronics in the camera so I shot quickly, one at a time... five in all.

 

 


Later, as I was looking at them on my computer, I noticed a dark spot. At first I thought a bird had gotten in the way. But the spot was in the same place of the sun in each image regardless of the placement in the frame. I was a little excited but had to leave for work.




As soon as I got home, I researched online and found that... YES... there was a sunspot in that very place!!! Sunspot #2553! And I got it in an image... this is so cool! I wonder if NASA would be interested!?

 

I claim all copyrights to my images and are not to be reused or reproduced without due 

credit to KmBennett Art/ Kathryn M. Bennett


Here are NASA images as proof:

from SOHO: Solar andHeliospheric Observatory

(click on image to visit source)

 

 
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/synoptic/sunspots_earth/sunspots_512_20160615.jpg

 

 

http://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/last_events_20160615_1121/20160615_094530_n7euA_2048.png

 

 

 Please 'Like' my Facebook page KmBennett Art

 

 

 

 

Comments